How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
Selling a car is always a little bittersweet. You love your car, but at the same time you want to get rid of it and move on to your next vehicle. Many people choose to sell their cars privately online or through another avenue, but there are many benefits of selling your car at a dealership. For Jersey City and Fort Lee drivers, learning how to sell a car at a dealership is often quicker and more rewarding than any of the alternatives.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
We’d love to purchase your used automobile, and we’ll do everything we can to get you back on the road in a new or new-to-you vehicle that meets your needs. How does selling your car to a dealership work? Here’s a closer look at the trade-in process:
- Clean your vehicle and fix small issues. You shouldn’t spend your time and money on major repairs, but topping off your fluids and filling in dents or cracks can definitely be helpful. Cleaning your automobile’s interior and outside is also suggested, since you want to make it look as nice as possible.
- Make a list of your vehicle’s unique features. There’s no telling what may increase the return on your automobile, so you’ll want to make a list of everything that sets it apart. It’s critical to gather your maintenance records and demonstrate that your vehicle has been well-cared for, but you should also make a note of any unique features, accessories, or modifications that add to its value.
- Have your vehicle’s title or your lender’s information ready. If you’re selling a vehicle that’s been entirely paid off, bring the title with you to the dealership. Are you still repaying your loan? The lender is most likely to have the title, so we’ll assist you in obtaining it.
- Research your vehicle’s value. Use trusted industry sources to obtain real-time market value information—Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book are great places to start. Then, use our trade-in appraisal tool to get an idea of what your model is really worth! Hold onto any offers that you receive, and be sure to bring them with you when you visit our dealership.
- Complete your appraisal. An appraisal is required for any trade-in, and if you want to sell your automobile to our dealership, then you’ll need to visit during our open hours or contact us to schedule an appointment. Contacting us in advance is quicker, since we can draw up any necessary paperwork in advance.
- Consider your offer. After the appraisal, our expert will provide you with an offer. Although many used vehicle buyers do not allow you to haggle, this is perfectly acceptable here at Jaguar Englewood! Your offer letters and estimates will come in handy. If you accept your offer, you may choose to take money in cash or put the money toward one of our cars.
Can You Sell a Car Without the Title in Hand?
If this is your first time selling a vehicle, you’re bound to have questions about paperwork. Do you need a title to sell a car? In most cases, the answer is yes: possession of the title identifies you as the rightful owner of the vehicle and entitles you to profit from its sale. However, there is one exception:
- If you financed your purchase, your vehicle’s title technically belongs to the lender. But what if you need a new car before you’ve paid it off? Can you sell a car without the title in hand? This is one circumstance in which the answer is yes! Just reach out and let us know how to get in touch with your lender. We can take care of the rest when you stop in to complete the sale.
If you’re not currently paying off a loan, there is only one way to sell a vehicle that lacks a title:
- New Jersey prohibits all other car sales that take place without a title, but you can acquire a new, duplicated title from the Motor Vehicle Commission. You will need to fill out the Universal Title Application and provide a current or expired registration, as well as proof of insurance or a certified registration record. You will also need to pay a $60 fee.
Why Should You Sell Your Car to a Dealership?
Is selling your vehicle to a dealership better than trying to take the next steps on your own? In most cases, the answer is yes. Selling a car privately can sometimes lead to a slightly higher return, but for most drivers, selling to a dealership is easier and more convenient. Taking this route also offers financial benefits that are hard to ignore.
Here’s everything you need to know about selling to car dealerships vs. private owners:
- Selling your car at a dealership may allow you to benefit from a lower tax burden. In many states, the price of the trade-in is subtracted from your new vehicle’s cost before the calculation of taxes.
- Selling a car at a dealership is often faster than selling it privately. If you decide to sell your vehicle on your own, you may have to wait weeks or months to find a buyer.
- Since we require an in-person inspection, we can eliminate the guesswork and offer you the money that your vehicle is really worth! Groups that make you a hard offer up front are likely to offer you less than a dealership that can make sure the investment is sound.
Sell Your Car to Jaguar Englewood!
If you like what you’ve learned about how to sell a car to a dealership, then we’re sure you’ll have a good experience at Jaguar Englewood. Contact us today to make a trade-in appointment or drive in at any time when we’re open! If you’d like to save time at the dealership, you can even apply for financing from your home in Englewood or New York City.
More from Jaguar Englewood
The latest Jaguar XF design debuted after comprehensive updates for model-year 2021—and this luxury sedan has continued to impress with a stunning suite of features and one of the most spacious trunks in the segment. Plus, it’s far from the most expensive model in this highly competitive market. If you’re ready to get up close…
Stepping into the 2023 Jaguar F-PACE interior is an experience that you won’t soon forget! This model is technically classed as a compact SUV, but it provides ample room for up to five passengers with plenty of space to spare for cargo. Naturally, the F-PACE also comes fully loaded with advanced technology features and amenities!…
Stepping into the 2023 Jaguar I-PACE interior is an experience you’ll never forget. After all, this EV isn’t just powerful and efficient, it’s also a design leader with many advanced technologies and creature comforts! Ready to take a closer look? Our guide to the cabin of this Jaguar EV shows you exactly what to…