What to Do After Buying a Used Car
When you know what to do after buying a used car, you can ensure that you’re ready for anything—and that your vehicle will last for as long as possible! Our eight-step guide is the perfect place to start.
Steps to Take After Buying a Used Car
Before we dive in, it’s important to note that you should always do your research before you purchase a used vehicle. It might seem obvious, but taking steps to set yourself up for success can have a major impact later on. Once you’ve found a used car with low mileage and a great service history, we’re sure that you’ll be eager to sign on the dotted line!
Jersey City and Fort Lee should take these eight steps after buying a used car:
- Get Insurance: It’s actually a good idea to get insurance before you make your purchase, but if you haven’t done so, you’ll need to take this step before you can drive home. Even if your home state does not require full coverage on pre-owned vehicles, most lenders do.
- Transfer the Title: Dealerships like our own will take care of the title transfer for you. If you buy privately, requesting a title transfer is one of the first steps you should take after buying a used car.
- Register the Used Vehicle: Once again, buying from a dealership allows you to avoid this step. However, if you decide to buy privately, you’ll need to visit your local DMV and register the vehicle in your name.
- Review the Owner’s Manual: Taking the time to get familiar with your car will be rewarding in the long run, and the sooner you can get started, the better! Exploring your vehicle’s features and service requirements can help to maximize the value of your purchase.
- Choose a Trustworthy Mechanic: Although you can always rely on our service team to provide excellent care at a great price, you should choose a mechanic that works for you. If the mechanic can handle your first oil change or tire rotation without trouble, they can probably be relied upon for more significant repairs.
- Check for Recalls: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration can provide you with information on any recalls that impact your vehicle. Before you make your first service appointment, check to see if there’s any work that should have been completed by the previous owner. You shouldn’t have to pay for any recall repairs out-of-pocket.
- Schedule Your First Service: You should bring your vehicle in for service at least once or twice a year, and it’s wise to request a comprehensive inspection with your first visit. (Taking a used vehicle to a local service center before you buy is also a good idea, but either way, your first service appointment is an important check-in.)
- Consider an Extended Warranty: Although not all New York City-area drivers will want to purchase an extended warranty, it may be a good option in some cases. If you have any questions, you’re welcome to contact our team and learn more.
Let Jaguar Englewood Help You Take the Next Steps Today!
Whether you’re ready to buy used or you’re looking for a reliable place to schedule service, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team. We make vehicle ownership as simple as it can be, and we’re ready to answer any and all of your questions.
More from Jaguar Englewood
The latest Jaguar XF design debuted after comprehensive updates for model-year 2021—and this luxury sedan has continued to impress with a stunning suite of features and one of the most spacious trunks in the segment. Plus, it’s far from the most expensive model in this highly competitive market. If you’re ready to get up close…
Stepping into the 2023 Jaguar F-PACE interior is an experience that you won’t soon forget! This model is technically classed as a compact SUV, but it provides ample room for up to five passengers with plenty of space to spare for cargo. Naturally, the F-PACE also comes fully loaded with advanced technology features and amenities!…
Stepping into the 2023 Jaguar I-PACE interior is an experience you’ll never forget. After all, this EV isn’t just powerful and efficient, it’s also a design leader with many advanced technologies and creature comforts! Ready to take a closer look? Our guide to the cabin of this Jaguar EV shows you exactly what to…